2022 Rules & Procedures
Access to printable document if company can't use the electronic version above: https://bit.ly/ClientCertificationForm
Through the SME Digital Awards, the Puerto Rico Sales and Marketing Executives Association recognizes best in class technology-based strategies and campaigns developed in Puerto Rico for local and International markets. On a yearly basis, the committee reviews the guidelines in order to incorporate new areas.
For 2022, both local campaigns and campaigns developed in Puerto Rico for international markets, can compete across the 10 categories:
- Innovative use of technology
- Social Media
- Branded Content
- Social Responsibility
- CREATIVE DATA
The SME Digital Awards are open to all local organizations and individuals such as: startups, technical platforms design firms, digital and advertising agencies, publishers and brands involved in the process of developing marketing, advertising or public relations campaigns running during the qualifying periods of January to December 2021. Campaigns or projects that started at the end of 2021 can provide results up to February 2022. If it began in January 2022 save it for 2023! Adaptations of Global Campaigns cannot be submitted.
- ENTRY DEADLINE - March 25, 2022
- LAST CHANCE ENTRY DEADLINE - April 1, 2022
- SHORT LIST ANNOUNCE - April 25, 2022
- AWARDS CEREMONY - May 12, 2022
Winning an SME Digital Award enables your company to stand out from peers in an increasingly crowded landscape and could be what twists the next RFP in your direction.
ENTRY FEE PER CATEGORY
REGULAR ENTRY FEE:
- NON-MEMBERS - $150.00
- SME MEMBER or Non-Profit Org.- $100.00
LAST CHANCE ENTRY FEE:
- NON-MEMBERS - $175.00
- SME MEMBER or Non-Profit Org.- $150.00
A campaign or project can only compete in a maximum of 3 categories and fees are payable for each category in which an entry is submitted. Fees may be paid by credit card or check, and payment needs to be received before the local Jury starts to review the entries (April 6) or it will be disqualified.
- Carefully review the categoriestaking in consideration those that best highlight the success of the work you are about to submit. Keep in mide that participating campaigns or projects can compete in up to 3 categories.
- Read the Rules & Procedures carefully and complete the template submitted by the SME corresponding to each chosen category. Make sure that all the requested information is included clearly and concisely to ensure you don’t lose marks by missing any key sections.
- Design the nomination template to reflect your brand’s entry, make sure to spell check and to erase all of SME’s instructions... this is what the Jury will see and review!
- Remember to get sign-off and obtain key data from brands so you don’t miss the entry deadlines. Don’t wait to the last minute! The entry will require client signature before the Judging process begins.
- Participants need to highlight what were the promotion, campaign or project’s goals, timing, strategy, and results. Required: follow the metrics and reporting guidelines along with the evidence of your project’s success. Provide at least 2 screen shots of third-party analytics reports.
- The submitted entry package will be used for judgng and for presentation purposes, no additional materials will be accepted afterwards. If selected as a finalist for the shortlist, you are required to submit an aditional 2 minutes' video for the SME Digital Forum. The video case study can be included from the beginning as an additional link to the PowerPoint Template. Do not include the video case study in the PowerPoint Template, as you will use a separate link on the entry form.
- Once you are ready, fill out the entry form and pay the entry fee online:smepr.org or smepr.org.
- Make sure to include links to all the requested information: PowerPoint templates and videos by midnight March 25, 2022 for the regular entry deadline. Entries made after this date will need to pay the Last Chance Entry Fee and have until midnight April 1, 2022 to qualify.
- If you confront any problems, contact [email protected]
- The SME's Digital Awards Committee reserves the right to disqualify incomplete applications. Judges reserve the right to reassign a submission’s category if needed.
- Winners will have the option of ordering copies of the Award for an additional fee.
3 COMMON MISTAKES TO AVOID
- Ensure you leave enough time for client sign-off and avoid those Last Chance fees.
- Refer to your objectives and ensure that you’ve included how you met or exceeded them; this is a common error.
- Clear results based on relevant quantitative or qualitative metrics are what the judges are looking for; don’t let them get lost in the submission.
Recognizes the craftmanship; art, copy, or innovative use of technology to communicate the idea and maximize effectiveness.
- MOBILE - Entries will need to demonstrate performance in portable platforms; work where a hand-held or wearable environment is integral to the idea and enables key aspects of the execution. Criteria considered during judging includes idea, execution, platform relevance, impact, and results.
- Mobile First Creative
- VIDEO - The Jury will be looking for the best campaigns where the main asset was a video. We are looking for:
- Video conversion campaigns
- Unique use of video content in a social platform
- Unique use of video content in a digital platform
- Great use of 360º Videos or VR
- INNOVATIVE USE OF TECHNOLOGY - The Jury will be looking for best in class projects or platforms that, for example, highlight:
- User Experience (UX)
- Interface & Navigation (UI)
- New Website, Microsite, Web Service or App
- Web based Game or use of Gaming for Brands
- Blockchain, NFT, Web 3
- Innovative Technology - Standalone, technological solutions not in association with a brand or creative campaign. Non-brand-aligned, breakthrough technology or solutions that aim to advance, enrich, or improve. Including, but not limited to, data-led technologies, innovative platforms, tools, models, programs, hardware, software, bespoke products, and solutions.
- Applied Innovation - Innovative solutions in association with a brand or creative work. Brand-aligned, breakthrough and revolutionary ideas, and forward-thinking methods that are rooted in finding solutions to brand challenges and / or propelling a brand forward.
- Product Innovation - Products created and developed in response to a business or consumer challenge. This may include, but is not limited to, solutions driven products, social impact, consumer experience, integration of technology into daily life and sustainability.
- Social Media Campaign - Marketing originally designed for social media platforms such as, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and YouTube. The Jury will be looking for use of social that, for example, highlights:
- Community Building
- Community Management
- Brand Awareness - submissions will need to include total audience reach (percentage), Estimated Ad Recall Lift and Brand lifts if available
- Conversion Strategies - submissions will need to include total sales generated, ROI, Conversion Rate
- Lead Generation - submissions will need to include total amount of leads generated, conversion rate and acquisition cost compared to other media
- Traffic – submissions will need to include number of visits generated vs campaign objectives
- Branded Content - Work in these categories will be judged on how successfully the placement of the content was used to engage with the consumers and deliver measurable results. The Jury will be looking for best in class projects or platforms that, for example, highlight:
- Use of Co-Creation & User Generated Content
- Use of Video Content such as Webisodes, Branded Series
- Influencer - The category focuses on awarding influencer-based campaigns or marketing programs. Special consideration will be given to effective use of influencer marketing that aligns seamlessly influencer style with the brand identity. Additional importance will be given to how the campaign improves baseline objectives and KPI’s. Broad Objectives: could include social visibility, ROI, engagement, increase market share, follower growth, conversions, creativity, drive sales, traffic, or another internally agreed goal.
- Social Responsibility - Non-profit or Corporate Social Responsibility Campaigns, projects or promotions integrating and using digital as the main medium to rally support, communicate with advocates and inspire action. We are looking for unique and creative uses of digital and social media to reach specific non-profit campaign goals.
Entries will need to demonstrate how insights and/or data were used as part of the strategy to engage specific target audience groups and develop customer relationships, inspiring action and producing measurable results.
Entries will need to demonstrate an inspiring and innovative implementation of digital media ideas; work which is enhanced and amplified by a game-changing channel strategy.
Entries will need to demonstrate how innovation and optimization at any point of the end-to-end customer journey led to increased consumer engagement and commercial success. The use of data to uncover or generate insights that contributed to the effectiveness of a media campaign.
- People’s Choice Award - On May 12, 2022 at the SME Digital Forum, participants will have the opportunity to select the People’s Choice Award within the Gold Winners. The voting process will be electronic at the SME Digital Forum.
- Top Puerto Rico Influencer People’s Choice: SME will announce an open call to nominate your Puerto Rican Top influencer, someone you follow and lives in Puerto Rico. Based on people’s responses, the influencers who make the Top 10 will be selected as the finalists that will compete for the People’s Choice. Voting will be electronic and open to the public. Winner will be announced at the SME Digital & Innovation Forum.
METRICS AND REPORTING GUIDELINES
The demonstration of a project’s success through metrics reporting will be a key indicator in the evaluation of the entry. In order to present the project’s KPI’s please consider:
- Present project performance across the funnel stages, based on strategy. Pay special attention to bottom of the funnel (conversion) impact if it aligns with the project goal.
- Develop a simple and compelling narrative explaining how the project contributed both marketing and business success to the brand. Don’t just send screenshots for the jury to interpret.
- Consider highlighting key indicators that demonstrate how the project helped the brand achieve important or never seen success.
- The entry will require client signature before the Judging process begins.
Our panel of judges will carefully review and grade each submission on a point system based on the following criteria, as it applies:
- Originality and innovation
- Graphic design, functionality & usability
- Copywriting/content & message
- Results and impact to the strategic objective
Local and International Judges will be selected by the SME and should belong to the digital industry, academia, companies with digital experience, and advertising agencies with digital divisions. However, agency judges will not vote in categories where their clients or their client’s competitors are nominated.
Juror names and their professional background will be announced.
The SME’s Digital Awards Committee will review each entry to corroborate eligibility. A Local Validation Jury will review entries in each category and select the shortlist that will be submitted to the International Jurors for evaluation. The Local Jury Chairperson will be included in the International Jury. SME might assign more than one Jury to evaluate the 2019 and 2020 nominations.
No award will be issued if, in the opinion of the judges, no entry within a given category meets a high standard of excellence.
Both the Local and International Jury reserve the right to reallocate your entry if they feel an alternative category is more suitable. In this case we will contact you.
All entrants will be required to complete an entry template and a one-pager summary, which will be scored by our judges. When the shortlist is announced, campaigns that have been successfully shortlisted will go straight to the international judge’s evaluation.
- Judges will evaluate each case based on the Award’s criteria.
- Awards will be presented as Gold, Silver and Bronze, if the International Jury determines that the finalist deserves to win Gold, Silver or Bronze.
- For each category, the video case summary of Gold winners will be presented to the audience at the SME Digital Forum, Silver and Bronze winners will be mentioned.
The following terms and conditions and the decisions of the judges are final on all matters pertaining to SME Digital Awards. By participating in this contest, entrants agree to abide by all federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations that may apply. This contest is subject to the laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Though, it is highly recommended to be present at the awards ceremony, Winners of the SME Digital Awards who do not attend will be notified within approximately seven (7) working days after the event.
The SME reserves the right to use and publish entrants' proper names online, in print and in any other media in connection with the SME Digital Awards contest. Acceptance of an award constitutes permission for the SME to use winner's name and likeness and entry submission for educational, advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering, participants release and hold harmless the SME, its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in the SME Digital Awards. Contact information becomes property of the SME and will not be shared with or distributed to any third party.
COPYRIGHTS AND REBRODCAST
Entries submitted become the property of the SME and cannot be returned. The SME retains entries for supplementing presentations to educational institutions, trade groups, advertising professionals and the general public. By signing this declaration each entrant specifically grants worldwide, royalty-free permission for the SME to show or play the entries at award shows, at SME sponsored or produced events, or in any other public or private, offline or online presentation with or without charge whenever and as often as the organizers see fit without compensation to the participants. The participant authorizes for such purpose that the SME use any trademark, animated character(s), animal(s), and merchandised item(s) included in the entries. SME may use entries or license entries or reproduce entries in perpetuity, without payment to participant, non-exclusively throughout the world, for use in telecasts, videotapes, DVDs, the Internet, exhibits, books, TV promotion, pamphlets and other such publications and media now known or hereafter created, including without limitation. Participants will fully defend, indemnify and hold the SME, its affiliated companies, assignees and licensees harmless from any talent or other residual charges due to the release of selected entries or any third-party claims against the SME, its affiliated companies, assignees and licensees resulting from the content of the entries and the intellectual property contained therein. The person submitting the entry form(s) certifies that he or she has full authority to approve the rights granted herein.
Approved by the Board of Directors on February 22, 2022