SME Digital Awards
Rules and Procedures
The Sales and Marketing Executives Association (SME) Digital Committee created the SME WebAd Awards in 2007 to recognize best practices in the use of the Internet as part of a marketing, advertising or public relations campaign in Puerto Rico. For its first year only one prize was awarded, while the overwhelming interest in the awards resulted in an additional 4 categories being added for 2008. In 2011, the Digital Committee changed the name of the awards to SME Digital Awards to account for the evolution of the digital industry. As a result of the continuous evolution of the digital industry, in 2013 the SME Digital Awards Committee decided to review the categories in order to incorporate new areas for a total of 8 awards.
The SME Digital Awards are open to all organizations and individuals such as: technology startups, design firms, digital agencies, advertising agencies, media companies and brands involved in the process of developing marketing, advertising or public relations campaigns running during the qualifying period of 12 months, starting on January 2012 and finishing on December 2012. Access Entry Form here.
Participating campaigns may compete in up to 3 categories. The creative conceptualization of all submissions must be developed in Puerto Rico for the Local Market, except in the Best Execution made in Puerto Rico for International Markets Category. Adaptations of Global Campaigns cannot be submitted.
Members of neither the Board of Directors of the Sales and Marketing Executives Association of Puerto Rico nor any representative of their company are eligible to participate for these awards.
1. Best Digitally-led Integrated Campaign (360˚ Strategy)
- Campaigns integrating and using digital as a main campaign component complementing and leveraging the overall 360˚ strategy.
- Integration is key, as digital gives you the opportunity to spark user interaction and create unique brand experiences.
- Special attention will be given to the uniqueness of the implementation and integration.
- Campaigns that recognize this potential will score higher than those that simply transport offline messages to digital outlets.
- We are looking for creative ways of transforming or evolving an “offline” campaign and how they blossom through digital media.
2. Best Digital Execution a Social Responsibility Campaign
- Non-profit or Corporate Social Responsibility Campaigns integrating and using digital as the main medium to rally support, communicate with advocates and inspire action.
- We are looking for unique and creative uses of digital and social media to reach specific non-profit campaign goals.
3. Best Promo Activation / Technology
- Campaigns promoting a product, contest, event, or cause during a limited period of time and using digital as the key element for the effort.
- Entries may include Websites, Microsites, Landing Pages, Games, Mobile as long as they have a set launch and termination date.
4. Best Social Media campaign integration
- Entries in this category include marketing campaigns originally designed for social media platforms such as, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and YouTube.
5. Best interactive advertisement
- Banners, floaters, pop-ups, rich media, streaming video, pre-rolls, video ads, or any other interactive media in web or mobile.
6. Best digital innovation
- Digitally centered executions that innovate and creatively push the boundaries.
- Impress us!
7. Best use of Data Driven Solutions
- Data driven solutions for the purpose of developing new services, customer acquisition or retention, improving operational performance, understanding competitors, among others
- This includes: websites, mobile apps, loyalty programs and CRM to mention a few examples
8. Best Execution made in Puerto Rico for International Markets
- Digital campaigns or executions developed in Puerto Rico for other markets
Entries will be judged and graded on a point system based on the following criteria:
- Creativity, originality and innovation
- Graphic design, functionality & usability
- Copywriting/content & message
- Results and impact to the strategic objective
- Integration, consistency and use of digital across all platforms
- SME Digital Awards Committee members will revise each entry to corroborate eligibility before submitting for the judges’ evaluation.
- No award will be issued if, in the opinion of the judges, no entry within a given category meets a high standard of excellence.
- Both the Nominating Committee and the Jury reserve the right to reassign a submission’s category if needed.
- Fill out the entry form and include all requested information and materials, which if selected as a finalist, will be used for public presentation purposes.
- The submitted entry package will be used for judging and for presentation purposes and no additional materials will be accepted afterwards.
- Participants should highlight what were the promotion’s or campaign goals, timing, strategy and results.
- Participating campaigns can only compete in up to 3 categories.
- Participations must be emailed to email@example.com by Monday, April 22,2013. Please refer to the instructions www.smepr.org and/or contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you need additional assistance.
- The SME's Digital Committee reserves the right to disqualify incomplete applications.
- Judges will be selected by the SME President and should belong to the digital industry, academia, companies with digital experience, and advertising agencies with digital divisions. However, agency judges will not vote in categories where their clients or their client’s competitors are nominated.
- Juror names and their professional background will be announced as soon as their participation has been confirmed.
- Judges will meet with the SME Digital Committee to evaluate each case on the criteria above.
- The three cases with the highest scores for each category will be presented to the audience at the SME Digital Forum.
- Awards will be presented as Gold, Silver and Bronze for the first, second and third place winners.
The following terms and conditions and the decisions of the judges are final on all matters pertaining to SME Digital Awards. By participating in this contest, entrants agree to abide by all federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations that may apply. This contest is subject to the laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Though, it is highly recommended to be present at the awards ceremony, Winners of the SME Digital Awards who do not attend will be notified within approximately seven (7) working days after the event.
If the SME is unable to contact the potential winner after a reasonable effort, or if the potential winner fails to respond within three days of the first notification, the award may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
Return of any award notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. The SME reserves the right to use and publish entrants' proper names online, in print and in any other media in connection with the SME Digital Awards contest. Acceptance of an award constitutes permission for the SME to use winner's name and likeness and entry submission for educational, advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering, participants release and hold harmless the SME, its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in the SME Digital Awards. Contact information becomes property of the SME and will not be shared with or distributed to any third party.
Copyright & Rebroadcast
Entries submitted become the property of the SME and cannot be returned. The SME retains entries for supplementing presentations to educational institutions, trade groups, advertising professionals and the general public. By signing this declaration each entrant specifically grants worldwide, royalty-free permission for the SME to show or play the entries at award shows, at SME sponsored or produced events, or in any other public or private presentation with or without charge whenever and as often as the organizers see fit without compensation to the participants. The participant authorizes for such purpose that the SME use any trademark, animated character(s), animal(s), and merchandised item(s) included in the entries. SME may use entries or license entries or reproduce entries in perpetuity, without payment to participant, non-exclusively throughout the world, for use in telecasts, videotapes, DVDs, the Internet, exhibits, books, TV promotion, pamphlets and other such publications and media now known or hereafter created, including without limitation. Participants will fully defend, indemnify and hold the SME, its affiliated companies, assignees and licensees harmless from any talent or other residual charges due to the release of selected entries or any third party claims against the SME, its affiliated companies, assignees and licensees resulting from the content of the entries and the intellectual property contained therein. The person submitting this entry form(s) certifies that he or she has full authority to approve the rights granted herein.
I fully read, understand and agree with the rules and procedures establish by the Sales & Marketing Association of Puerto Rico (SME).
Participant of SME Digital Awards Date
Approved by the Board of Directors on February 19, 2013